Monday 21 March 2016

Travel Log: Welcome to City of Angels (Day 10-12)

Previous Days (Foods in Santa Clara)

Destination: United States of Americas
Duration: 12 Days 11 Nights (Feb 23~Mar 05, 2016)

Day 10: A Detour to Fisherman’s Wharf

Today would be the last day of the training thus I checked out early from Plaza Suites after eating my breakfast. Fun fact – I actually discovered making sandwich of scrambled egg + sausage was delicious on my last day of breakfast. *facepalm* After checkout, I threw all my luggage into the car boot which happened to be missing a baggage compartment cover and exposed my luggage to whoever walked pass the car. This would also pose as a major problem later in my trip today. 
Last Breakfast in Santa Clara
Something Cute in Office
Lunch was provided during the training and it was sandwiches again – I got the chicken breast sandwich and Portello mushroom to try out together with some chips. The chicken breast sandwich was actually nicer than it looked as there was crispy bacon inside whereas the mushroom was juicy.
Chicken Sandiwch & Mushroom Sandwich
Potato Chip
This would be our last day of training and my flight would leave SFO at midnight today. Thus after training, I drove straight to San Francisco Fisherman’s Wharf as a detour before boarding my flight at midnight. Since my stupid Hertz (N)everLost GPS was crazy, so ended up in constant confusion all the way to San Francisco. The traffic was really heavy as well which also contributed to the stupid GPS never-ending recalculating! UGH! Neverlost? It should be called EVERlost!
Driving to San Francisco!
Traffic Jam while approaching San Francisco! *facepalm*
I finally reached the Embarcadero and saw the Pier 27 parking area. This was actually a good place to park IF there is no cruise docking. Unfortunately for me, there would be a cruise and there was a sign saying all cars should be cleared by 6pm. UGH! I have no choice but to get to another parking area. Since I parked at the Longshoreman public parking lot at 400 North Point Street before (link), I’d decided to go there since I would be semi-familiar with it. The weekday parking rate is USD20 per day and I paid and displayed the ticket on my car’s dashboard. Remember I mentioned my car boot’s baggage compartment cover was missing? I ended up have to drag my luggage all the way from the car to the luggage storage at Pier 39 for fear that it might get broke in since it was just SO OBVIOUS! *sigh*
Having a Tug-a-war with my luggage!
It was around a 10mins walk from parking to Pier 39 and I almost killed myself by dragging the luggage up the stairs to 1st floor for the “California Welcome Center” since I couldn’t find the lift initially. They charged USD5 per luggage for storage and the center closed at 7pm on a Thursday.
The Fisherman's Wharf Sign was the 1st thing i saw when walking to the Embarcadero...
Still a long way!
Are we there yet?!
Finally!
After storing my luggage, it was finally time to explore Pier 39. I’d been there before in my previous trips but this was definitely the 1st time I put more time into it. There were shops, Alcatraz & Golden Gate Bridge further out but I was simply chilling there… taking my own sweet time to take pictures, visit Hard Rock and walked further to Pier 45.
Sammy at Pier 39 with Coit Tower at the back!
Gorgeous Flowers!
This is actually a "Photo Spot"
With a Heart, Pier 39 Flags & Alcatraz at the back
Golden Gate Bridge at the back
Seagulls chilling..*MINE*
A Mini Island?
Trying to take the sign of Pier 39 & me.. but FAIL! LOL!!!
Let's take picture of the flags instead. :p
Giant Crab!
Hard Rock
Only in San Francisco! Indeed!
Aquarium of the Bay
A Ferry Docking Station?
That Mini-Island is actually a RESTAURANT!! O_o
A View of San Francisco Bay
Sammy was there too!
Pier 45 was a Historical theme pier where one could visit a World War 2 Submarine! However, I didn’t see anyone going in there thus I didn’t continue with the visit as well. I guess a picture is suffice. =P There was also “Musee Mecanique” – an Antique Coin Operated Arcade there featuring tons of brilliant mechanical creations. When a quarter was entered, the mechanism would start and the whole arcade in that machine went alive! You wouldn’t believe how detail those machines are!
Some Street Performance
Red & White Fleet
Pier 45
The Submarine
Cool huh?
This is the coolest Museum EVER!
Now this is Creepy!
A Quarter will buy you a show in these finely made machine!
Imagine everything is moving
Everything is made of Toothpick!
Look at how detail it is!
I was quite hungry by that time and decided to walk to Ghirardelli Square for the World Famous Hot Fudge Sundae. It really did not disappoint! It was really yummy but I think it was definitely for sharing since the portion was huge. The sundae cost USD12.39 with tax.
Continue on the Embarcadero
It was actually where we had our team building back in 2012..(link)

Another old spot during team building in Sales Conference 2012
The San Francisco Cable Car
The Ghirardelli Square!
It's time for CHOCOLATE!!!
So many choices!
Keep Calm & Have some Chocolate!
Ghirardelli World Famous Hot Fudge Sundae!
So excited!!! Look at how HUGE it is!
Process of making the Ghirardelli Chocolate
It's a shopping mall too...
With the Water Fountain in front of the Square
I slowly walked back to Pier 39 and there it was the famous Boudin Sourdough Bakery. Some website once said Boudin was a must-try when one is in San Francisco. Thus there I was – savoring their clam chowder in sourdough bread bowl. The chowder was quite salty for me but I loved the sourdough. This cost USD10.10 with tax.
Walking pass See's Candies
Spy Shop?! Seriously?
Back to the Fisherman's Wharf sign
A Madam Tussauds Wax Museum! Didn't go in though
Let's eat instead! LOL!!!
The Famous Boudin in Fisherman's Wharf!
Look at all the Sourdough!
Clam Chowder in Sourdough Bowl!
Enjoying my bowl of chowder inside the Boudin Cafe
I had to be back in time to Pier 39 for my luggage before 7pm so I went back again to Pier 39 – this time taking night time pictures. Nighttime in Pier 39 did look completely different from earlier with all the lights.
Sky is getting dark.. on the way back to Pier 39!
Pier 39 at night
Bubba Gump is everywhere!
It does have its Charm when it's not crowded.. :)
A Carousel
The CRAWL!
A Heart in Pier 39
Alcatraz in the Dark
Nighttime View of the Restaurant
What a nice view!
Nightview of Coit Tower from afar
A Zoom in
Goodbye Pier 39
I finally tugged my luggage slowly to my car to continue my journey to the airport with my EVERlost GPS. Btw, there was actually a nearer parking garage - Pier 39 Garage was just across Pier 39 but it cost USD9/hour. No thanks! =P There were lots of traffic lights along the Embarcadero and I was actually quite thankful for the red light since it gave me the chance to take pictures of the bay bridge at night – it was a pretty sight to behold! =P
On the way back to Parking Lot
A Landmark at the Parking Lot
Ross is just opposite the Longshoreman's parking garage but i'm too lazy to go in there with luggage and all
Gorgeous Night View at The Embarcadero
Traffic light? It's time for Picture!
The Bay Bridge looks like millions of diamonds blinking on top at night
AT&T Park
After about an hour of driving with EVERlost GPS, I finally reached SFO in one piece! Mind you! The GPS would tell me to go straight in a highway for 40 miles, it ‘bing’ed that I was on the right way, then 5 mins later told me to make a U-turn in the straight highway! WTF!!! I really wanted to smash it so badly! I told the Hertz employee about this crazy GPS when I returned the car but I didn’t think they believed me though… UGH!
Missing the Luggage Compartment Cover! UGH!
When I dropped my luggage at the SQ counter, I was given a voucher for some free sample stuff. However, it turned out to be a fraud as the free sample was only given out during the day. *roll eyes*
Sammy was ready for some free sample but it was not available! :(
Our Plane
Day 11-12: Long Flight Home

The SQ plane seemed to be quite new with a bigger entertainment screen, even the control panel was in smart phone concept. One might watched movies on the big screen & switch the control panel in flight path mode. Cool!
Bigger & Clearer!
With a Smart-phone type controller!
Anyway, I was in aisle seat due to some miracle as aisle seat was full when I checked in online. Thankfully after I persistently checked the availability online every few hours, I finally got the aisle seat! Another best part? No one was sitting in the middle seat – only another guy sitting at the window seat there. =)
Sammy is happy that no one sits beside us
Enjoying some white wine!
For supper, I chose the sweet & sour fish set which was nice. Since this was a midnight flight, I quickly dozed off after the meal for more than 8 hours! By the time I woke up, there were still many hours to go though. =( I saw some people requesting cup noodle from the flight attendants but I ended up with a chicken sandwich. The sandwich was not good though and there were no potato chips available. *pout*
Sweet & Sour Fish Set
Chicken Sandwich
It's not good! :(
I went through some movies before breakfast was served. I chose the Chinese dim sum set which included shrimp dumpling (Har Kao), meat dumpling (Siew Mai) & carrot cake. I liked the shrimp & meat dumpling but the carrot cake was basically tasteless.
Dim Sum Set
The plane finally landed at Hong Kong for a short layover with a change of crew. This time the flight from HK to Singapore was full. They were serving another set of breakfast again and I chose the pork rice vermicelli which happened to be a good choice as it was really yummy. =P
Kids entertainment area at HKIA!
Pork Rice Vermicelli Set! YUMMY!
After reaching Singapore, I had to make another transit back to Penang with Silkair. It was time to utilize my SQ transit voucher of SGD20!
Fully utilize the SGD20 transit voucher! This cost SGD0.90. =P
Is it legal to have the cockpit door open during boarding? =P
Thai Tuna Set
I finally reached Penang on a Saturday late afternoon – which was around a total of 24 hours of flight + transit! Why can’t they make plane fly faster? =P
ROCK ON!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...