Thursday 17 March 2016

Travel Log: Welcome to City of Angels (Day 5)

Previous Days (Foods & Shops)

Destination: United States of Americas
Duration: 12 Days 11 Nights (Feb 23~Mar 05, 2016)

Day 5: A Day in the City of Angels

I booked a day tour with adayinLAtours (link) that cost USD89 per pax since I was too lazy to drive everywhere on my own and worry about parking. The meeting point was at Santa Monica at around 9.45am.

I had my breakfast of buffalo chicken burrito & cold pressed juice that I bought from Trader Joe's last night before starting my journey at 7.30am for fear of heavy traffic.
Breakfast of the day!
Chicken Wrap... Hmm.. not that good since it was cold and there is no microwave in hotel
My leftover 2.5 gallons of water after 4 days in US
There were some traffic along the way but I ended up arriving at the parking area at around 8.30am. There were tons of public parking building near Santa Monica Pier and I ended up at Parking Structure 2. Maximum parking fee would be USD14 for a day. Everything was automated here and one had to pay at machine before driving out.
Sammy is ready for an adventure!
Not sure why but this stretch of the highway is slow moving - maybe everyone is looking at the mansion on top of the hill?
Structure 2 Public Parking in Santa Monica
I went to look for the payment machine since I got time and I got shocked at first when I saw the machine only accept credit card. Normally foreigner would have a problem with this as it required PIN number whereas in many countries we only needed a signature and never even know our credit card PIN number.
Credit card only?! Gosh i need to call the bank!!! *panic*
If you encounter this in Santa Monica Public Parking building - do not panic! There were other machines at other side of the building that accepted cash! You just have to find it! Thankfully I found it with ease thanks to Lady Luck! =)
Don't Fret! Go to another side!
Where CASH is welcomed!
There was a farmer's market around the corner selling fresh vegetables & fruits. I walked across the street to get to Santa Monica Boulevard and found the meeting point right across Georgian Hotel.
Fresh Vege anyone?
Walking over to the seaside...
Oh dear.. need to cross the bridge to the Beach!
Sammy enjoying the cold.. Hmm.. Hot Breeze!
Some Memorial around the Park
The Georgion Hotel!
Our Bus was there! But it was too early though!
Since it was still early, I continued on to Santa Monica Pier where the end of Route 66 is located. There was also an amusement park there as well. I simply walked along the shore at the end. There were loads of hot guy/girls jogging along the way and I must say it was really sunny! There was also some function there with tv crews, securities & fans at one of the open space but I had no idea what function it was. =p
Function at Santa Monica Pier? Even Birdy is interested!
Sammy at the Cannon! LOL!!!
Walking over to the Pier
It's a HOT day!
All the Shops are closed since it is too early..
There is Bubba Gump! Heard this is the one of the places he stopped.
Police Station at the Pier! LOL!!!
End of Route 66
My Shadow at Santa Monice Pier... ;P
Hello Pacific Ocean!
Some Amusement Park
Let's just enjoy the view..
Harbor Office & some restaurant...
Ferris Wheel from afar
Sammy at the Pier. :)
Having a morning stroll...
Red Carpet?!
Fans waiting outside...
Security
Houses along the beach...
Houses with Flowers...
I went back to the registration point by 9.30am to register myself in and got on Bus 5. Our bus driver cum tour guide was really funny and helpful - he even offered to charge our phone battery. LOL!
Walking back to the meeting point!
Right across the Street
Here it is - the meeting point
Just beside the Visitor Center
Off we departed to our 1st destination - Venice Beach which also known as Muscle beach since Arnold Schwarzenegger used to train there. It was kind of foggy that day so many of my pictures came out blurry. =( Venice Beach was kind of underwhelming for me though as it simply had some shoplots, skate boarding ground, graffiti art area & the open-air gym and sport area.
Venice in Southern California
Venice Sign in the Fog
Very Foggy Morning
Sammy with the V!
Venice Public Art Walls
Graffiti at the Skateboarding park

The Skatepark
There were few muscle men & women training there and people were taking pictures of them. One may also rent a bicycle to cycle along the whole stretch of Venice beach.
Wondering around the area...
Muscle Men!!!
Open Gym at the Beach - no wonder this is called Muscle Beach
They even have a Museum!
It's time to go!
Rent a Bike to cycle along the beach!
Our 2nd destination was Beverly Hills where the riches resided. I took my time to take picture with the famed Beverly Hills sign before continuing to look for other famous spot such as the location where "Pretty Woman" was filmed.
One of the Canals in LA...
Hello Beverly Hills!
One of the locations for Pretty Woman where Julie Roberts says "It's a mistake!"
The whole row of buildings was basically high end shops such as Gucci, LV, Prada etc but one of the most glaring was House of Bijan - a tailor-made suit store that only meet by appointment and one suit could cost USD25k! Gosh! I could use that money for a car here in Malaysia! An imported car no less!
Bijan - the Luxury Suit
Even the shop looks classy huh?
The Street in Beverly Hills
Gucci!
Cable Car?
Yet another shopping street
Another thing I realized was the amount of sport cars driving through here - Ferrari, Porsche & Lamborghini were everywhere and unfortunately they were driving too fast for me to take picture! *facepalm* I think I was at the correct spot for the "Pretty Lady" hotel but my picture came out dark due to the backlight.
I think this is the "Pretty Woman" hotel?
All the Luxury Brands
Beautiful Blooming Flowers at Roadside
I have no idea what this cute little van is for!
I did not walked all the way to Beverly Hills Police Station though but simply took a picture from afar before our bus was leaving. There was also some preparations around that area for some event and our driver told us it was the location of Oscar after party! Oscar was going to be tomorrow in Dolby theatre.
A far shot to Beverly Hills Police Station
Oscar After Party!
It was lunch break and we were brought to the farmer's market at LA. There were lots of shops & food stalls and I think this was also the place where Gilmore drill the oil in LA as there were memorial everywhere.
LA - the land of OIL in old time
Farmers Market
The Historical Railroad on the ground...
A Water Fountain!
I ended up with the original corned beef sandwich from Magee's kitchen - one of the oldest stalls in Farmer's market. The place was really packed and I was lucky to get a table. The sandwich was packed with tons of corned beef and it was nice eating the 1st half of the sandwich but it kind of got disgusting during the 2nd half as some parts of the beefs were too greasy. Yucks! I guess I should've ordered extra lean! The sandwich itself cost USD13.90.
What to eat in Farmers Market?
Let's have the Corned Beef Sandwich at one of the Oldest Stalls in Farmers Market
OMG! The Sandwich is so THICK!!!
Nice for 1st half.. too many fat chunks in the 2nd half..
Lemonade to wash it down
CBS around the corner!
Another Cute Truck!
After lunch, we continued on to Griffith park - the place to take a picture of Hollywood sign! There was also the observatory there as well with planetary introduction.
Sammy at Griffith Park
The Hollywood Sign is too small though!
Can't even see it in this picture! *facepalm*
Sammy licking the sign but it is too SMALL!
James Dean Memorial with the Hollywood sign..
Here is the Observatory Center
Let's have a look, shall we?
Nice Dome!
From 2nd Floor of the Observatory
View of LA
Let's learn some science!
Look! It's Lighting! Some Tesla stuff that i have no idea what it is! *facepalm*
This kind of reminded me of Santorini.. LOL!
The Clock
Final Zoom into the sign before leaving
Our last stop was supposed to be the Hollywood Walk of Fame but we ended up skipping it due to closure for Oscar preparation tomorrow. What a bummer. Our driver drove us to Universal City Walk instead - basically an area outside of Universal studios with a row of shops.
Jack Black's House!
Superhero Run?!
Universal City Walk
Johnny Rockets at the back
King Kong?!
Hard Rock!
I spent most of the time in Rock shop and took pictures with the iconic Universal Studio globe near the entrance. =p
I love Rock Shop!
Look at all the Foods on the Building!
On the Way to the Universal Studio Entrance
The Entrance with Red Carpet!
Sammy was there!
The Universal Studios Globe
Thus this ended our day tour. Our bus did drove pass Hollywood Walk of Fame there and we could see the area was really closed. We also drove pass some famous spot such as Chateau Marmont hotel where celebrities loved to stay in. Another highlight was Viper Room which was owned by Johnny Depp when River Phoenix had a overdose right in front of the club. Too bad I didn't managed to get a picture of the club as it was at another side of the bus.
Ironman!!!
Hollywood Walk of Fame is closed for Oscar!
Chateau Marmont
We also drove pass a building where Bruce Willis jumped out of in Die hard movie before being sent back to our starting point at Santa Monica.
Let's jump out of the Fox Building
Random Church
Sunset at Santa Monica
Night view at Santa Monica was really different from earlier but I was too lazy to walk all the way down to the pier again. Thus I ended up taking pictures from the top instead. =p
Looks different from morning!
Santa Monice at Night - lots of cars!
Still taking pictures non-stop
Goodbye Santa Monica
I was really tired and ended up having dinner at Burger Lounge - a random restaurant which happened to be near my parking area. The line was long to get the burger so this also boosted my confidence on the food quality. =p
Let's have some burger!
Long queue - must be a good sign?
I ordered the Alaskan Cod Fish burger with fries and lavender lemonade. The burger was really delicious! The Cod Fish was a real piece and not the patty type. It was really fresh and soft and blended well with the bun and vege. The fries was sprinkled with some herb stuff which made it even more delectable. I loved the lavender lemonade as well and they actually offered free refill! Gosh! I think I was overloaded with sugar by the time I finished the 2 glasses of lemonade. *facepalm* By the way, the set cost USD18.54 after tax.
Refillable Lavendar Lemonade!
Alaskan Cod Burger & French Fries
Look at the Cod!
I packed the leftover fries and it was time to drive back to Westlake Village Inn. I managed to find the payment machine and paid without any incident. There was a Third Street Promenade around tar area with more shops and stuffs but I was simply too tired for it. I didn't even had the energy to buy some grocery for tomorrow's breakfast. *facepalm*

I did went for refuel for the car just in case and ended up taking me a long time to find the handle to open the fuel door. LOL!!! It was really a fun day but in some way I was a bit underwhelmed as in my mind LA was supposed to be more glamorous! =p
ROCK ON!!!
Next Day (A Day of Movie Magic)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...