Monday 31 December 2012

Afternoon Tea at Suffolk House

I’ve always read and heard rave reviews for the exquisite afternoon tea set at Suffolk House. In fact, a lot of people mentioned it was a must-try. Thus on a Thursday afternoon, we’d decided to give it a try.
Suffolk House from Outside
We were ushered to our table outdoor and were given the afternoon tea menu which consisted of ONE choice – the afternoon tea set for 2 at RM68++. 
The One and Only Set
Our tea (Darjeeling) was served 1st with sugar and milk. It was very ordinary to say the least.
Our Tea
Then there came our food – scones, chicken pie, cucumber sandwich, salmon sandwich, biscuits, cakes and various jams for the scones.
The Suffolk House Afternoon Tea Set
There was only one word to describe my feeling for the set – OVERRATED! Gosh, after all the gushing from blogs and friends, I would think the set would be like a set from heaven. The cruel reality was – it was mediocre, so mediocre that I didn’t think it was worth the price. I think we can get the similar or even better set elsewhere with cheaper price. You might say that the extra money is for environment but unfortunately I didn’t see any that day since they are arranging tables and building canopies for some events in the garden.
Scones, Chicken Pie and Sandwiches
The scones were fluffy but normal - nothing special at all, I guess the only good thing about it was the variety of jams given and that it was served hot. The salmon sandwich was prepared with Gardenia wheat bread – you might be thinking how the heck do I know this? Well, I LOATHE the new version of Gardenia Wheat bread with sunflower seed (green colour packing) and I can immediately identify it’s that same bread! Totally ruin my beloved salmon sandwich.
Strawberry Jam, Pineapple Jam, Apple Jam, Tomato Jam, Butter & Cream
Don’t even let me start on the chicken pie. It was tasteless and full of chicken gristles!!! How DISGUSTING!!!! I’d never eaten a chicken pie with gristle before and luck would have it my first would actually be in Suffolk House! EEEEEEWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!! This never ever happened even from the cheapest chicken pie I bought from sunshine market (RM1.90)! The worst was it was not just ONE single gristle - when I bit the 1st one, I thought:"Oh, it's just an accident they left it there!" but One become Two then become Three and so on... GOSH!!!! The thought alone made me chickenpie-phobia!!!
The Most Disgusting Chicken Pie EVER! I think you can see some gristles here...
I guess out of the mess, my favourite part of the set would be the cucumber sandwich.. *facepalm* The cake and cookies were again very very mediocre. It totally puzzled me on why people gushed about the set so much. Perhaps I went there at their absolute worst or I had too high expectation but I must say this would be the last time I’d ever tried their afternoon tea set.
Cakes & Cookies
Suffolk House is located opposite Han Chiang School, Ayer Itam Penang.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for featuring us!

    Feel warmly welcome anytime :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...