Monday 16 December 2013

Travel Log: A Very Thanksgiving Weekend (Day 1)

Destination: United States of America & Hong Kong
Duration: 8 Days 7 Nights (Nov 30~Dec 08, 2013)

Day 1: CSI Marathon + Sunnyvale + San Jose + Thanksgiving Shopping!!!

The strangest thing had happened out of nowhere – a project which was dead since last year suddenly revived and required immediate implementation. Hmm… how bizarre! As luck would have it - Implementation meant having face to face meeting for setup in San Francisco. Last minute travel notice also ensured that I was put on waiting list for Cathay Pacific & Singapore Airlines. There I was wondering whether I would be put on business class but at the end I got something BETTER! Rather than arriving in SFO on Sunday, they put me on a flight which arrived on Saturday so it meant I GOT THE WHOLE WEEKEND FOR MYSELF!!! Hooray!!!!
Cupcake anyone?
As like any other CX flight departed from Penang, I had the 7.50am flight before a transit in Hong Kong at 2.10pm for San Francisco.  There I was bored out of my mind inflight and accidentally stumbled upon the full 21 episodes of Season 13 CSI in the inflight entertainment system! Thus this marked the beginning of my CSI Marathon for the trip.
The illegal immigrant - Sammy...
The PG-HK flight took around 3 ½ hours and we were served breakfast with choices of either omelet or Rice with Chicken. Since I’d tried omelet inflight, I went for the rice with chicken. It tasted just meh I guess.
Rice with Chicken as Breakfast
Gate number for Connecting Flight
Safely arrived in HK and luckily the transit wasn’t too long. Finally boarded the plane to continue my CSI Marathon *facepalm*. Why didn’t they have Thor the Dark World? That would make my life easier by playing it on a loop. :p
Waiting for Boarding at HKIA
This time we were presented with a menu for Lunch & Dinner. For lunch, there were 3 main choices of Chicken, Pork & Vegetarian Pasta but by the time the meal cart reached me – they only had pork. DARN! But I did appreciate the Haagen Dazs Ice cream. The pork thankfully was still tolerable with tons of carrots & mashed potato on the side. I got a glass of white wine so that I could fell asleep better to avoid further jetlag.
Sammy is pleased with a Menu!
Lunch & Dinner
The Pork Dish with Haagen Dazs Ice Cream & White Wine
The HK-SFO flight took more than 10 hours but I ended up watching MORE CSI and only managed to half-asleep for 2 hours even after drinking the wine. *facepalm* There were snacks provided between lunch & dinner but it was just apples, cookies & peanuts. You could ask for Instant Noodle cup though if you want. Dinner was served 2 hours before landing and this time I got myself the fish set – the fish was nice but the spinach tagliatelle was kind of tasteless. I guess they should provide more sauce for this. The funny thing about this ‘dinner’ was it was based on HK time, if we were to follow San Francisco time – this would be breakfast.
The Fish Set
The flight landed in San Francisco Airport at around 10.30am and that was where the excitement begun! The sign in the airport was clear so I had no problem taking the blue line train to car renting center. This was where I rented a car to drive myself to Plaza Suites in Santa Clara. I insisted on GPS and my exact line to the girl was: This would be my lifeline here! Hhaaa… Finally we got all the paperwork done and got to the garage to choose a car. I was delighted to see they had a Ford Fiesta! A car that I’m familiar with! It was bad enough we had the opposite direction thing so it was always good to drive in a familiar car.
Sammy is scared in a foreign car in a foreign land!
Here it is!
My Ford Fiesta Rental in US *facepalm*
The ride from San Francisco Airport to Santa Clara took around 45-50mins. One thing I noticed was American drove without caring on the speed limit! According to the sign & my GPS, the speed limit for 101 was 65mi/h – I was driving 65mi/h but all the cars kept overtake me. *sweat* Don’t they get speeding ticket or something?

Arrived and checked in safely in Plaza Suites – the room was big with living room & bedroom separately into two different quarters. Kind of creepy and too big for my taste if you asked me. After settled down everything, it was time to start my adventure!!!
Living Room
Some Coffee Maker
Washroom
Bathroom
Sammy in the Bedroom
The Plaza Suites
First stop – the Winchester Mystery House which was basically like 10-15mins drive away. There were lots of people there and I managed to purchase the “Mansion Tour” for USD33. I did not get the Grand Estate Tour which was the most money worth due to limited time for my itinerary.
The Entrance to Winchester Mystery House
Ticket Booth
Waiting for the Tour
Well, the Winchester Raffles!
Along with some Bullets!
A Gun Museum
Strange Tree!
Anyway Winchester Mystery House was basically a wacky house with door opened to 18 feet drop or to a wall. Unfortunately no photo was allowed inside the house but it was really FUN to experience it. Basically the house was expanded nonstop to confuse spirit so that owner could have everlasting life. More information on this fun place can be viewed here: http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/. Unfortunately no photo was allowed inside the house though. =(
Walking towards the Garden
A Windmill?
Tomb
Courtyard of the House
Some Greenhouse
Sammy & a Statue
Finally i make an appearance! LOL
Sammy & the Cupid Fountain
Rear View of the House
My next stop was a short one to take a look at San Jose downtown and it was 4pm when I reached there. Parking in US city is extremely expensive as this cost me USD10 for less than 1 hour parking. But the location was awesome and I was running out of time before the sky turned dark.
San Jose Museum of Art
I took some photos of the Circle of Palms which is the Historical marker for California’s 1st state capitol in San Jose. The Cathedral Basilica of St Joseph was just nearby and it was stunning. They also had a Christmas Park thing just opposite the Circle and it was really amazing! =)
Circle of Palms
A Panoramic View of San Jose Museum with Circle of Palms
The Cathedral Basilica of St Joseph
I have a take a picture!
Beautiful eh? Wait till you see the inside...
Wow!!!
Look at this!
This place is Magnificient!
The San Jose Christmas Park!
This is where the children meet Santa!
The Soldier
Froggie & Santa?
Yes! They are Froggies!
More Christmas House!
This time is Bear Bear!
The Giant Christmas Tree!
The Lumber Mill?
We have a Christmas Train!
Flying!
Mouses?
Going somewhere?
Gingerbread men!
Lovely House!
Finally found someone to help me to take a picture!
The next destination was Gilroy Premium Outlets which was 30-40mins drive away from San Jose. The sky was turning dark and I was debating whether I should go there. Since my colleagues would KILL me if I didn’t, I ended up arriving at Gilroy at around 6.30pm. There were 4 major buildings of the outlet and unless you want to cross the road in the dark, you would have to drive to each of them. So what is a girl gotta do in a premium outlet? *innocent look*
This was the only picture i took of the outlet before ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE!
Due to my impeccable timing of a Thanksgiving Weekend – basically everything was on sales! A classic GAP jacket originally cost USD44.99 was selling at USD14.99! OMG!!! Then there was COACH – you had to queue to get in there! Everything was 50%+10% OFF!!!! I’m never going to buy COACH elsewhere after this! People were going crazy in there!

Unfortunately the Samsonite Outlet was not as cheap as I imagined – but since my luggage was out of space, I ended up buying their huge yacht tote at around USD18. It would be useful for future travel as a spare luggage in case of over-shopping.  =)

After all the shopping, I finally realized that I hadn’t eaten anything since the ‘dinner’ from the flight. McDonalds was the only one available in that Building so I grabbed a grilled chicken wrap for the night. The taste? Hmm.. too much honey mustard! I must say McDonalds is CHEAP in the States! The wrap only cost like USD1.50! Imagine you are earning USD and USD1.50 is basically nothing for you! You can’t really get anything with RM1.50 in Malaysia.
Some McD Grilled Chicken Wrap
Drenched in Sauces... *facepalm*

Finally arrived back to Plaza Suites at around 9pm – I was supposed to be super sleepy having only able to sleep on the plane for 2 hours but jetlag caught up on me… Ended up only slept for 2 hours for the night. *cry*
NOT MINE!!! I'm just a hired shopper with no salary!
Next Day (San Francisco + EPIC FAIL!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...