Saturday 28 December 2013

Travel Log: A Very Thanksgiving Weekend (Day 2)


Destination: United States of America & Hong Kong
Duration: 8 Days 7 Nights (Nov 30~Dec 08, 2013)

Day 2: San Francisco + EPIC FAIL!!! *sob*

The day started early to depart from Plaza Suites at 7am to get to San Francisco for my 9.10am Alcatraz ferry. This meant I missed the breakfast as it only started at 7am. Bummer! Finally found Golden Gateway Garage to park the car at USD7 flat rate. I was looking at my Google Map to walk from garage to Pier 33 before a friendly elder offered me his help and taught me the direction! What a Great way to start my journey! =)
Sammy is ready for the new adventure!
Lots of UPS stores in the States
Coit Tower from afar
In front of Science Museum
Walking along the Embarcadero
There were lots of morning joggers there and I managed to arrive at Pier 33 at 8.40am for boarding. The ferry took around 20mins and we had a good view of Golden Gate Bridge. There were tons of tourists there and we were told there would be some free guided tours (garden tours, escape from Alcatraz tour etc) so we are invited to join them. Since I was all alone and the garden tour started right about the time, I just followed the very friendly elderly gardener who took us around the whole island talking about the history and the botanic garden of Alcatraz. He was tremendously proud of his work and enjoyed his work very much. It was such a joy to follow him around and cross into closed area where he opened for us.
The Alcatraz Ferry
Model of Alcatraz
Cannon Replica from 1860s
My Ticket to Prison!
Smuggling Sammy into the Prison too! 
A View of Golden Gate Bridge from the Ferry 
Alcatraz from the Ferry
Getting Close now...
Almost
We are HERE!!! This is the Dock Tower...
The Fort
Officer's Club where the officers & families had parties...
Residential Building 
Walking Uphill!
A Look from Above
The Water Tank with Indian Writing
The Power House
Flowers
The Warden's House
The Lighthouse & Main Cellhouse
Ruins of the Parade Ground
More Buildings...
A View of Golden Gate Bridge from Alcatraz
The tour took about 1 hour and we finally parted way to continue to the award winning audio tour for the cellhouse. The audio tour was really entertaining and basically explained the living condition and some fun trivia of the place.
Stairs to the Main Cellhouse
This is the Cellhouse
Going in now!
My hand shakes by looking at this quote. :P
A Typical Cell
Remind me of Shawshank Redemption
Solitary Cell
Even Scarier Solitary Cell! ALL DARK!
Gun Gallery! So Close!
Some bullet holes after escape attempt
This is how they meet visitor
So Close & Yet so Far from Freedom
Someone actually DUG A HOLE to escape!!! Now i know where Stephen King gets his inspiration of Shawshank Redemption from!
Sammy saying goodbye!
Going through a Tunnel
So Long!
I finally boarded the 1.40pm ferry to get back to the city. I was beyond starving and bought a clam chowder at a random street stall at Fisherman’s Wharf for USD6.75. Normally it was served with the famous sourdough bowl (link) but I didn’t think I had to stomach to swallow them all thus I only went for the cup version. The portion was still bigger than I’d expected though.
Hi Pier 39! 
Giant Christmas Tree!
Doggie's Diner!!
Clam Chowder
A Destroyer!
One of our Mystery clue during last year team building in San Francisco! Now i see it everywhere there!
After the late lunch, I was walking around Fisherman’s Wharf to look for this souvenir shop to get the prison clothes. After that it was time for my next destination so I had to walk to the garage to get my car. It was when I got LOST and spent like 30 minutes extra just to find the place. *facepalm* That was when I realized I had the car GPS in my bag which I could’ve use it earlier to find the garage!!! DUH!!!! Stupid me!

My next destination was Palace of Fine Arts – it was really a beautiful place! Stunning architecture which reminded me of Greece (which I love so much! More stories about my Greek Adventure is HERE & HERE). There were couples shooting their wedding photo there as well. By the time I left the place, it was around 3.40pm. There it presented me a dilemma, I was supposed to get to Lighthouse, Muir Wood & Sausalito after this but I just didn’t have enough time to complete all. I knew that the sky would be turning dark by 5pm. Do I continue on?
Palace of Fine Arts
Beautiful huh?
The Dome
Another part of the Circle
Look at the Shadow in the Water
I’d decided to skip the lighthouse for Muir Wood and drove past the Golden Gate Bridge in my rented Fiesta. Cool!!! This was when everything turned disastrous… *sob* First of all, the route to Muir Wood was kind of narrow and had lots of turns. Second of all, the car behind me was really fast but couldn’t overtook me due to the narrow road. The worst part? I kept missing out the correct turning to the National Park even though I had a GPS! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!! The only consolation was the view along the ride with a setting sun was amazing – but my hands were full with driving until I had no chance to take any photos.

I missed the turn for the 2nd time and that was when I’d decided to give up. The sky was turning dark and there was no point for me to reach Muir Wood at this timing to fully explore the place. Thus this ended my FAIL attempt at Muir Wood. I did manage to take a photo of Muir Beach from afar though.
Muir Beach from afar
Sammy is sad!
I continued my journey with more twists and turns and finally reached Sausalito. The sky of course was dark and it didn’t help that it was low tide – the view looked kind of dirty and was not what I expected as it was mentioned that Sausalito resembled a Mediterranean village. Thus I just stopped there for a while and went back to San Francisco Airport to return the car since I would meet boss tomorrow and he would rented a car as well.
Sausalito
A Panoramic View
A Mediterranean Village?
Driving pass the Bridge!

Finally ended the day with a shuttle from San Francisco Airport to Plaza Suites and grabbed some pretzel as dinner before calling it a night. It would be a long day tomorrow in office. *sweat*
Sammy is tired
The Dinner...
Next Few Days (A Working Girl in San Francisco)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...