Wednesday 1 April 2015

Travel Log: A Long Engagement (Day 13)

Previous Day (Sightseeing at Santa Cruz)

Destination: United States of America
Duration: 16 Days 15 Nights (Feb 24~Mar 11, 2015)

Day 13: A Day Trip to Monterey & Carmel by the Sea

My colleagues had decided to go for Gilroy Premium Outlet today so I’d decided to book a day tour instead since I’d been to Gilroy before and Livermore had emptied my bank account last week (link). One inconvenience staying in San Jose was the lack of Day Tour starting from this location. In fact, I had to rent a car (link) in order to get to the meeting point at Fisherman's Wharf at San Francisco (around an hour ride). I booked the day tour for Monterey & Carmel through Gray Line of San Francisco and apparently I got the sweet deal at USD65 – original price was listed at USD90 on the site (link).

Thus on the wee hours of 6am (foregoing Hotel Breakfast), I took the Fairfield free hotel shuttle to San Jose Airport to pick up my car rental from Hertz. I was asking for a compact car since I had no idea how to drive a big car and ended up with a Toyota Corolla instead. After losing my ways a few times (even though I have the GPS in the car), I finally found my way to 101-North and headed to San Francisco!
My Ride for a Day!
Sammy the Loyal Companion!
The feeling of looking at the foggy hillside San Francisco view from the highway during sunrise was definitely indescribable! No photos on that though as I needed to keep my hand on the steering! Female Driver here!!! =P I was supposed to arrive at the meeting point – Super Sightseeing office (2627 Taylor Street) by 8.30am but I managed to get there by 7.30am.
Okay, i did take some picture during traffic light of the Bridge - The Oakland Bay Bridge i believe!
Another Picture during Traffic Light
Safely Arrived at Car Park!
Let's Pay at the Machine - If a Machine Dummy like me can manage it, you can!!!
The Receipt to be displayed on Dashboard
While we are at it, This is the Corolla Dashboard with GPS & Reverse Camera
Resting for a Day in Car Park!
There was a car park right opposite the office (Longshoreman Public Parking – 400 Northpoint Street) and one day parking cost USD25. Basically it’s paid at a machine (by cash or credit card) and the receipt should be displayed at the car dashboard. Since it was still early, I walked to the Fisherman's Wharf seaside area for some fresh air and pictures.
The Gray Line Super Sightseeing Office is right Opposite
Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf! Such Memory on the Sales Conference 2012... (link)
What a timing to reminisce this place... *sigh*
Having Breakfast in front of Ross
A Bird Migration?
San Francisco Sightseeing Bus?
At the Wharf - now this just make me remember the team building during sales conference...
Taking some shots near the Pier 39
Another Shot near Pier 39 with Alcatraz at the back, my visit on Alcatraz can be read here (link)
A Zoom into Alcatraz
Random Street at the Wharf
Our bus departed the meeting point at around 9am and off we went for a long day adventure. We traveled through the scenic Pacific Coast Highway 1 to admire the coastline and the Pacific Ocean. It was still quite foggy thus coastline further away was not visible. Our driver cum tour guide made a brief stop for photos along the way and it was freezing!
Sammy is ready and has his own seat!
The Coit Tower from afar
The "Pyramid" Tower from Financial District
San Francisco from afar
Continuing on Highway 1
The Pacific Ocean
I think there is a town over there?
A Lone Tower?
Greenery & Yellow Flowers
A Brief Stop for Fresh (Freezing) Air and to be closed to the Sea
Sammy was there!
In a Freezing Weather...
There is our Bus! Did i mention that the land is actually sand dunes?
Someone climbing down to take pic! LOL!!!
This is the Path!
We then had another 20mins stop at some sort of ‘pit stop’ countryside thus I took the chance to snap some photos there. The trip continued on the bus for another hour before we reached the Cannery Row at Monterey.
A Lighthouse
The Sun has started to shine!
Nice Color Combination of Yellow, Green & Blue?
Our PitStop
A Church there
Road to Residential area surrounded by mountain
Another Wooden House
Finally it's time to leave...
Cannery Row is the waterfront section of Monterey which was previously known as Ocean View Avenue in honor of John Steinbeck & his novel that described a colorful past set amid the cannery culture of the time (link). The bus dropped us in front of the Monterey Bay Aquarium and we were given 2 hours to explore the place. Since we only had 2 hours, I’d decided to skip the aquarium and went to explore the area instead.
Some Snacks in the Bus
Continue on!
Sky is Clearing!
We are at Monterey!
Driving along the Coastline
Yachts!
Our Stop - Monterey Bay Aquarium
I walked around the area and took pictures of the landmarks in Cannery Row before getting clam chowder & sourdough bun as lunch. After that I simply explored the souvenir shops along the row and took more pictures. I didn’t even realize that over another side of the Bay Aquarium – there was this Monterey Bay Coastal Recreational Trail even though it was written on the map. Oops!
1st Picture walking towards the Row
They have lots of 'Skybridge' across the Street!
Here is another one!
One of the Landmarks of Monterey!
Here is the Cannery Row Map!
A View behind the Wire...
A Closed Gallery
Beautiful Flowers!
A View from the Beach to 700 Cannery Row
Lots of Yachts around
Yet another 'Skybridge" with Monterey Sign
Let's take a Selfie!
More Flowers!
This is actually a Shopping Mall
Look at How Clear the Ocean is!
Camwhoring!
Clam Chowder & Sourdough Bun! I love Sourdough!
Another View of the Seaside
Skybridge between two Cannery Row Company
The Famous Steinbeck
More Memorial at Steinbeck Plaza
Cute lil Doggie!
Yachting! Not me though.. *cry*
Clear Water
Selfie!
View of the Back
Built over the Sea
Ed Rickett's Backyard
Cannery Worker Shack
This is considered as one of the bigger room
Walking Around without Direction
Inside Monterey Canning Co.
View from the Monterey Canning Co "Skybridge"
View of another Direction
I only realized my mistake when I got up and bus after the 2 hours exploration and the bus continued on to the other side. *facepalm*. The trail was breathtaking! There were people biking and jogging along the trail but unfortunately I could only take the pictures from the bus! *double facepalm*
Pacific Grove! How could i miss this?! *facepalm*
They even have the 4-wheel cycle! I want!!!
The Recreation Trail
All along the Coast
Beautiful huh?
A Big Mansion!
It's an Endless Trail!
Still Going!
Imaging Spending a day Trekking here...
Bead Foam or Rock?
The Trail is just never-ending
Green & Sands
We did have another photo stop near Point Joe at Pebble Beach area– some people were having picnic there and seagulls were bugging them for food. =P One thing I realized from this 17-Mile Drive was Coastal Drive in Americas was totally different from Coastal drive in Europe such as Amalfi Drive (link). Most scenery along the American Coastal actually looked rather bleak if compared to the colorful jewels in each different turns in Europe.
At Point Joe
Sammy was there!
Breathing in the Pacific Ocean
Oh Dear!!! Tsunami Hazard Zone?
Picnic Area with Houses at the back
Seagull - I'm the King of Wildlife!!!
There are just flat land at another side
Another photo stop was a the Lone Cypress - Standing on a granite hillside off California's scenic 17-mile drive in Pebble Beach, the Lone Cypress is a western icon, and has been called one of the most photographed trees in North America(Wikipedia).
The Ghost Trees with White Trunk
The Lone Cypress
Sammy was there!
More Ghost Trees - the white trunk of Cypress in Monterey
We then made another stop at some golf club attached with some high-end shops which I had no idea why we even bothered. Since we were here, I just took some pictures before jumping on the bus again.
I think this is the Pebble Beach Golf Club?
Golfing, anyone?
Sammy enjoying the view...
Look at the Golf Cart!
Getting Late there...
We finally arrived at Carmel by the Sea at around 5pm and stopped at Carmel Plaza for a 2 hours visit in the charming little city. We were told this place is famous for artist & celebrity’s mansion & Clint Eastwood’s Restaurant (he was the mayor of Carmel!). However, we were not provided with any maps by the guide and apparently tourist map for Carmel was actually difficult to find in Google!!! The guide also warned us not to walk to the shore as it was too far away and we might not make it back in time.
Which Way should i go?
Old Style Building
Since I had no idea what to explore, I simply walked around and asked around on how to get to the Clint Eastwood’s Restaurant.  Another tourist kindly led me to the place and told me it was no longer owned by Clint Eastwood now. After that, I stumbled on the tourist information completely by accident just beside they close down (it was just beside the restaurant!) and managed to get myself a ‘heritage trail’ map of Carmel by the Sea! *happy*
The Map from Tourist Information - Purple line is the Historic Walking Trail
We really need to refer to this legend...
The Clint Eastwood's Restaurant
See the Label? - Eastwood Building
I followed the trail and took pictures of the charming little city. One thing to note was it was a very quiet & empty place – hardly anyone was there at all. I was not sure whether it was due to the timing (a Sunday evening) or it was a norm there.
An Art Gallery
Harrison Memorial Library
Beautiful Couple near First Murphy Park
Pine Inn
I think this is the City Hall?
L'Auberge - 1st Apartment House in Carmel
Church of the Wayfarer
Morgan Court?
More Art Gallaries
Piccadilly Park
More Buildings
The Tuck Box
Charming House
Devendorf Park
We finally completed our day tour and left Carmel after 7pm to start our long journey back to San Francisco. The driver was dropping of guests in many different hotels and got lost at one thus the time was really late when I finally reached my car park (around 10pm). In fact, if I did not ask him to drop me off 1st when we reached Fisherman's Wharf, I couldn’t imagine what time I would be there.
Carmel Plaza - all the Shops were closed!
At Carmel Plaza
Leaving Carmel by the Sea
It's Flat Land all over...
It took me another hour ride from San Francisco to San Jose – the nightview at San Francisco was nice but I did not have the mood to really tally too long since it was simply too late. I returned the car back to San Jose Airport, settled with Hertz on some over-charging issue and grabbed myself a free airport flyer bus to get to Airport/Metro Light Rail station which was right in front of Fairfield. What a long long Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...