Saturday 31 October 2015

An Idle Afternoon at Macalister Mansion

It has been a long time since I’ve gone for an afternoon tea. The last one I had was in Winter Warmers which feel like a gazillion years ago (link). In fact, I’m not entirely sure what possess me to suddenly Google for “Afternoon tea in Penang” and end up making a swift decision to go for the Afternoon Tea in Macalister Mansion. I think price does play a factor here though as RM78nett for 2 pax is definitely a steal!
The Afternoon Tea
Thus there I was, taking an afternoon off from work (Yay!!!) and managed to get to the “Living Room” (left side of the building) at around 4pm. There was a heavy downpour at 3pm+ but thankfully the rain stopped as hasty as it had started. We were quite surprised at the crowd for afternoon tea – the place is full and we were lucky to get a table as the patrons just left. We did not make any reservation as we were not sure of our timing. Everyone was chatting away loudly and it somehow diminished its high class image. The waiters there were all busy simply threw us the menu before serving us after quite a long time. *sweat*
Coffee Lovers should try this! Add on RM5 for mini cakes!
Nice deco!
Can only take picture of it sideway since people are sitting right in front of it!
TWG Tea!
We ordered the “MM Signature HighTea Set” and chose “Sakura! Sakura!” as our tea of the day. I was comtemplating whether to go with Royal Darjeeling (I ADORE Darjeeling) but ended up with “Sakura! Sakura!” as many bloggers seemed to recommend this. The verdict? The scent kind of reminded me of cough syrup! *facepalm* Thankfully the taste was quite refreshing though – acceptable but not mind boggling. Give me Darjeeling anytime over this! Haha… Anyway this was actually our 1st time drinking TWG brand tea! =P
The MM Signature HighTea Set - comprises of the platter & a pot of TWG tea
Sakura! Sakura!
Our set was served finally and I was pleasantly surprised. It looked even better than the pictures that I saw in other blog! The spread seems to have more choices and it seemed to be more similar to the afternoon tea set at Farquhar Mansion but with lower price tag. We’ve never been to Farquhar Mansion Afternoon Tea (Yet) but from pictures it does seem like Macalister Mansion has upgraded their afternoon tea spread to compete with Farquhar Mansion.
Look at this!!! What a Feast to the eyes! My Dinosaur Camera Phone doesn't even do it justice!
The spread was such a state of art that we loathed to destroy it. Anyway we ended up dismember it piece by piece to great pleasure. Now this definitely sounds like a murder scene! Too many gory movies for me! *facepalm*
Another Angle! Look at the Quiche!!! 
Look at the Camera!!! What Camera?! With Food like THIS, my eyes are too busy!
We started with the alluring tomato Basil & Parmesan Quiche and it was as great as it looked! Crispy at the outer layer and savoury cheesy filling at the inside – I want to eat this everyday (diet plan to be darned)! The mini sandwich bagel was a bit too dry though and I wish the smoked salmon & cream cheese could be more to contra the dryness. But bagel always gave me a dry impression so I was not sure about this one. Not one of my favourites. We went forward with the Grilled Chicken Ceaser Salad Wraps and it was good – juicy and chewy.
Quiche, Mini Bagel, Wrap, Mini Apricot tart & Mango Cheese Cake foam
Smoked Salmon in Mini Bagel
Grilled Chicken Ceaser Salad Wrap - Blurry picture! My phone just won't let me focus on it!
The scones provided were also fluffy and it tasted so scrumptious when eat with clotted cream & jam. *sigh with contentment* Then there was the Mini Apricot Almond tart! The zesty lemon cheese cake! Crispy Chocolate Fondue Dough! Tiramitsu Lollipop! They were all great in their own way and definitely an indulgence! The only thing out of the sweet stuff that I was not too fond of was the Verrine of Mango Cheese Cake Foam – I just didn’t like the texture as I generally didn’t like foam/mousse type dessert. =P
Fluffy Scones with Clotted Cream & Jam
Lemon Cheesecake, Crispy Chocolate Fondue Dough & Tiramitsu Lollipop!
This MM Signature HighTea set is a definite MUST-TRY!!! SPLURGE it for at least once in your life! At Rm39nett per pax – it is worth every penny! It is also a very nice place for friends gathering so head for this indulgence when you have the chance. The only down side was the slow service but the place was packed during our visit so perhaps you might get a more attentive service during your visit. =) This definitely triumped Suffolk House that we visited few years ago (link)!
More Pastries at the Counter
We were the 2nd last customers to leave...
The Living Room!
Beautiful Environment
Relaxing in the Outdoor can be a good idea!
I'm not even sure who this is! *facepalm*
The Living Room of Macalister Mansion is located at Macalister Road beside Loh Guan Lye Hospital (same row as Ghee Hiang) in Penang.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...