Tuesday 27 May 2014

Travel Log: A Spring without Sakura (Day 2)

Duration: 5 Days 5 Nights (May 18~May 22, 2014)

Day 2: Alone in Little Edo
After a rough night with electricity interruption, I was really lazy to climb out of the big bed so I only managed to pull myself up at 8.30am++. I was so pumped up with anticipation when I open my window blind expecting to see Sakura right outside my window but that was not the case. There was NO SAKURA anymore! I was too late… *sob*
This is the Sakura near The Prince Tower in Website
This is the view from my room - NO SAKURA!
It was a ‘rest day’ due to yesterday’s whole day flight so I was planning to go for Kawagoe – the little Edo as they call it. Thus I grabbed a quick sandwich from 7-11 on the way to the Shinagawa station before setting out my hour long journey to Kawagoe. 
The View outside the Hotel - NO SAKURA either!!!
My Favourite Food in Japan - 7-11 Sandwiches!
Kawagoe is known as Little Edo as it is one of the most well preserved cities with traditional building which is just 1 hour away from Tokyo. In fact, it is said that it’s like a miniature Kyoto. Thanks to Hyperdia (www.hyperdia.com) – the Japan railroad BIBLE, I took the following route with my Suica card (Japanese Prepaid train card).
Shinagawa (JR Yamanote line) -> Ikebukuro (Tobu Toju Line) -> Kawagoe
Going to Kawagoe!!!
My Breakfast from 7-11
Once I reached Kawagoe station at around 10.30am, it was apparent to me that I needed to get on the Co-Edo Loop Bus which cost only 500 Yen for day pass. For those who prefer to walk, it’s advised that you take the train until Kawagoeshi station instead as it’s nearer to the town area. I was looking for a ticket booth to get the day pass and failed to locate one. So I just followed the instruction on the banner to walk out of the station at my left exit. The Vintage bus arrived and apparently the ticket was to be bought from the bus itself. They would also provide you a map from the bus. =)
Arriving at Kawagoe Station
A View outside the Kawagoe Station
OMG!!! Look at these kids!!!
The Co-Edo Loop Bus Banner
Here is the Bus!!!
Sammy is on board!
Japanese, English & Chinese Recording on the Bus
My 1st stop was the famous Kita-in Temple which is the most famous temple in Saitama Prefecture. There were also the 500 statues of Rakan with 540 stone Buddhas. The sun was shining throughout the day and it was so HOT!!! Other Japanese tourists were all using umbrella but unfortunately I didn’t have one with me.. =(
Here we are....
Before the Entrance
Here is the Entrance!
Yet another Entrance.. >.<
The 540 Buddhas
A Close Up!
More Buildings in the area
Kita-in Temple
Selfie! FAILED!
Sammy Looks better in Selfie!
More Shrine
A Close Up!
Walking around...
Wash your hand first!
Something Colorful!
Make a Wish!
Another Temple in the Area
Bridge & Stream...
Yet another Temple...
Bye Bye
My next stop was the “Honmaru Goten” – the remaining part of an Edo Castle. It was basically an old building which we could see from outside. Further down the road was another shrine which was significantly smaller than Kita-in Temple. 
Where are we?!
Finally found it!
Sammy & the Building
Honmaru Goten
Hardly Anyone there...
Finally! A MAP!!!
Another Shrine near Honmaru Goten
Walking towards the back
A walk in the park?
Since there would be a long wait for the bus, I walked to a site called “Fujimi Turret Ruins” which was basically a small hill to climb up with steep stairs with some ruins which I had no idea what exactly to look for since I never planned this. I skipped the highest platform as the stairs was really steep and I would not want to fall down without anyone knowing. Only after came back that I realized there was a small memorial on top. Oops!
It's quite a long walk..
Finally reach the sign...
More signboard but i have no idea what it says.. >.<||
A lot of stairs!
This was as far as i went.. Oops!!!
I took the bus again at the City Museum & Art Museum station but both museums were closed on Monday. So don’t go to Kawagoe if you are a museum buffs. =P
City Art Museum
City Museum - Closed!
Hikawa Shrine was the next stop and it was a typical Japanese Shrine. They did have a wonderful wishing tunnel though. =)
Sammy at Hikawa Shrine
Around the Area
Look at all the wishing boards
A Selfie!
Somewhere to pay respect?
Sammy in the Tunnel
So cute!!!
Or you can use paper!
Trying to take a picture of the shrine inside
I have no idea what this is
The Giant Gate
Giant Tree!
Not sure what this means though
After all the shrine & temple, it was time to romp in town so I took the bus to Kura no Machi – warehouse district. There were lots of traditional Japanese buildings with the bell toll being the town’s most prominent building. 
Dorayaki!
Edo Style Building
The Bell Tower!
Shrine near the Tower
More Wishes!
At Kura no Machi
AKA Warehouse District
Looks like Building in Kyoto
Fire Pipe?
Walking down the Street 
Looks like Building in old Japanese movie?
The Bank!
Saw this at the Roadside
Hello Kitty!!!
More Temple... >.<
Kids want to see the view too!
Some old streets
The Warehouse District Main Street!
Time for a Dorayaki
With Red Bean
There was also Kashiya Yokocho – Candy Store Street which is lined with old style Japanese candy stores. Unfortunately more than half of them were closed though – what is it with Monday in Kawagoe? Is it a non-working day?
At Kashiya Yokocho
Lots of Food Stuffs
Or Candies?
My last destination in Kawagoe was their Festival Museum which only cost 300 Yen and happened to be located right at the Kura no Machi Station. There were all these giant festival floats which stood at 2 stories high. I was not sure whether camera was allowed but no one was taking picture inside.
Festive Museum
Going in..
Miniature Festival Floats
Waiting for the Bus
Cute Giraffe
Girls in Kimono!
This ended my day at Kawagoe and I got back to Shinagawa at the same route to check some outstanding issues online before going out around the hotel and Shinagawa station area. One of the malls was having a renovation there and I realized the west side had nothing much to see. So there it is! My adventure alone in Kawagoe! =)
Bought some Stocks from Convi Store! YUM YUM!
Shinagawa Station at Night
At 'Wing' opposite the Station
FOOD!!!
PIES!!!!
Video Game Stores
A Shrine right at the Main Street
Here it is!
This looks Alluring!
*Drool*
Next Days (Works & Play in Shinagawa)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...