Tuesday 23 September 2014

Travel Log: A Journey of Restoration (Prelude)

Destination: France & Italy
Duration: 15 Days 15 Nights (Sep 02~Sep 17, 2014)

A Prelude: Planning & Hair Pulling

It has been 2 years since our last long holiday and I was dying to get one. Contrary to what some people believe, business travel is NOT leisure vacation – you might get to visit some sights during a business travel but the feeling would never be the same if compared to a holiday vacation. 

Imagine this scenario:-
You are at Nagoya Castle amazed at the majestic traditional structure but yet somewhere there is a nagging in your brain…“Darn, I have a meeting tomorrow, I have a presentation tomorrow, I have those 1000 action items to settle…” the feeling is just so wrong!!! In any case, i do appreciate the chance for business travel as it gives me the chance to explore some places that i might not have the chance to go if it's on my own dime. :p

Anyhoo, I finally bought the flight tickets for this long holiday where my brain and mind can truly admire the majestic nature or building. Budget was another major factor and the cheapest fare I could find was on Malaysian Airlines (price was dropping due to MH370 tragedy) which cost around RM2.9K (All in) to Paris CDG whereas Singapore Airlines charged a whooping RM4.7K+ for the same route.

Once the flight had been booked, it was time to plan the general itinerary to book hotel, train and local flights. Our major target was Italy but since MH did not have direct flight to Italy, we had to touchdown in Paris before continuing our journey to Italy. Imagine the HORROR of planning a backpack trip! *pulling on hair*
Our Travel Route in Italy
After a while, a rough plan was out and I could finally start booking hotel, train & local flight – remember, price is cheaper for train & flight (and in some case – hotel) if you booked them earlier (2 months in advance).
Rough Plan!!!
One thing I did realize was flight and train tickets in Europe were inexpensive – IF you are earning EURO! Seriously! It only cost EUR30/pax for flight from Naples to Venice and EUR19/pax for a speed train between cities – so much cheaper than Shinkansen in Japan. No wonder European could travel in style! After the rough draft, it was more research again for detail itinerary. I think I’d pulled out all my hair by the time it was completed (mere days before my flight departure).

Little did I know that there would be another air disaster for MH17 weeks before my departure as well. Friend and colleague were all wishing me “Let’s hope you can come back in one piece” – AAAAAAAwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! I didn’t realize they all do not wish me dead. Sweet eh? LOL!!!
Aaawwwwww!!!!!
Here is the actual adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...