Thursday 6 October 2016

What’s for Lunch? – Reminiscing Yoshinoya

Yoshinoya was one of my favourite joints back when I was claiming per diem during business trip in Japan. It was fast, delicious and not to mention cheap! 300 Yen would get you the gyudon (beef bowl) for a satisfying meal with free water and condiments. Like Malaysian always says: Where to find? =P

I was beyond excited when I saw the renovation in Gurney Plaza and kept stalking the progress for its opening. It was finally opened and I had the pleasure of queueing since Malaysian loved new restaurant. New Jambam ma!! LOL!!! Anyway this Yoshinoya is tagged along with Hanamaru which is specializing in udon.
Queuing Queuing Queuing...
We ordered the original beef bowl with soft-boiled egg, Ajitama tan tan udon with sausage tempura and Aburi Salmon Bowl. It’s a self-service fast food restaurant thus you had to pick your choices, paid at the counter before bringing your own food to your table. Oh, and there were lots of condiments free of charges at a counter for your taking. Water is not free in Malaysia’s Yoshinoya though – you need to pay to take a cup from the counter to get free flow green tea. Still a good deals though. *wink*

The verdict? Frankly speaking I was quite disappointed with the beef bowl as it was not as good as the Yoshinoya in Japan. I guess the beef supplier was different then. I miss Japan’s beef bowl! *sob*
Beef Bowl with Soft-Boiled Egg
I was not a big fan of udon – more of a soba person so the Ajitama tan tan udon didn’t really allure me that much. It was just okay. The sausage tempura was just mediocre as well. Perhaps we were choosing the wrong tempura? =P
Ajitama tan tan Udon
Sausage Tempura
The Aburi Salmon Bowl was surprisingly good – this was not available when I was in Yoshinoya Japan so I was not sure if this was a local thing. Anyway, the combination of grilled salmon, mentai mayonnaise and rice was perfect. The only complaint was the salmon slice was quite thin. This kind of reminded me of Salmon Mentai Sushi but in a big bowl instead. =P
Aburi Salmon Bowl
Will I come back? Well, perhaps when I have a reminiscence of my past Japan Yoshinoya experience.

Yoshinoya|Hanamaru is located at LG Floor of Gurney Plaza Penang, Malaysia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...