Thursday 17 March 2016

Travel Log: Welcome to City of Angels (Day 6)

Previous Day (A Day in LA)

Destination: United States of Americas
Duration: 12 Days 11 Nights (Feb 23~Mar 05, 2016)

Day 6: A Day of Movie Magic

I had to check out early today and left my luggage with Westlake Village Inn since I would be going for some sightseeing before driving to LA airport for my regional flight to San Jose. I had the leftover fries from last night as breakfast and surprising likes it even though it was soggy. LOL!!! 
Almost finishing the 2.5 gallons water...
Sammy says goodbye to Westlake Village Inn
Checking out from Westlake Village Inn
The Building my room located in...
Nice place to take picture! Tuunel of Love?
Goodbye Westlake Village Inn!
After that it was another 50mins drive to Warner Brothers Studios at Burbank. I bought the package for a studio tour at 9am from the website (link) and were supposed to be there 15mins beforehand. Funny thing was the traffic was really smooth and I ended up arriving super early!
New York Film Academy across the street
Warner Brothers Tour Parking - Not yet open
Since I was early, there were tons of free parking around the area so this saved me USD10 to park inside the Warner Brothers Studio car park. I took my time to take pictures and finally went into the waiting area for the tour. I ended up buying hot chocolate from the Starbucks inside the waiting area - did not buy other stuffs though as I was still full with the leftover fries earlier. In hindsight, I should've bought more foods since it's claimable! Ugh!
End up parking at the Street - FREE OF CHARGE!
The Studio Tour Building
Sammy making new friend
Sammy with Bunny!
You may buy the ticket directly here or online
Famous Movies from Warner Brothers
Oscar Winning Picture
The Warner Brothers Studios Map!!!
Sammy licking Sherlock!
Starbucks
Let's have some Hot Chocolate!
Our tour finally started and we were ushered in to a room to watch a short introduction of the studio before getting on the cart for our tour. =) The tour guide introduced us to many interesting spot where certain movies took place like Tom Cruise's The Last Samurai. There was also this so-called creepy alley where Tobey McGuire's Spider-Man had the upside down kiss with Mary Jane.
Let's Rumble!!!
Sitting just beside the tour guide!
The Street where they transform into Japanese town in "The Last Samurai"
They love fire escape stairs!
This is where Tobey Maguire's Spideman & Kristin Dunst's Mary Jane had the upside down KISS!
They also call it Creepy Alley!
There were also some locations for Ocean's twelve Las Vegas scene and Argo. There was also the building model for 'Pushing Daisies' but most of them were basically unrecognizable due to CGI or renovation. The building was basically hollow on the inside and it was to ease filming where giant pipes were on the roof for air condition and giant spotlight was set during filming.
Imagine they transform this place as Las Vegas in Ocean's Twelve
The Famous Water Tower
The Central Park Stage in "Friends"!
The Building Model for "Pie Hole" from "Pushing Daisy".. & the fake subway!
Inside the Building - no ceiling! This is Air Condition Vent and they only switch it on when absolutely necessary between takes since the noise interferes with filming
Basically it's empty in the building!
This is one of the most used cinemas in firm i think...
The Friends Stage! Full House was here too!
We also drove pass the prop department where stuffs were built for the set. It was kind of like IKEA! LOL!!!
IKEA!
After that we had a stop at the Bat Lair where they exhibited the mobiles! We were missing the Batman vs Superman mobile though and Ben Afflect did not show up in a surprise appearance. =p
Tons of Batmobile!
From Michael Keaton's Batman Movie?
This is definitely from the Christian Bale's series
Bat - tank?!
Bat - Jet?!
From George Clooney's Batman movie
Sammy &  the Bat Sign!
BATMAN!!! *carton theme song*
We were then ushered into a soundstage for '2 Broke Girls' series. No camera was allowed inside the stage though. Basically there were the stands for spectators to record their laughter (with mics) and the main stage for actors. Apparently an episode of the series would take 1 week to complete from script reading until actual filming.
I think this may be the stage they film Ellen Degeneras show?
Did I mention that they are filming Gilmore Girl revival series in the studio as well? But everything was kept under hush hush on where exactly it was filmed in the studio. Darn! There went my chances of accidentally bumping into Jared Padalecki! *pout* Warner's Brother Archive was another stop where Harry Potter & more Batman stuffs were displayed.
Let's have a look at the Archive
More Batman Stuffs!
Joke
Michael Keaton & Jack Nicholson's Version
More Batman Costume
It's time for Harry Potter!
Sherlob? Hmm.. wrong movie!
More Harry's Costumes
Our last stop by the cart was stage 48 where more interactive activities were provided from scripts to screen. Basically one may stay in this stage as long as you like and simply take the shuttle to get back to the exit. The best thing about this stage? There was the Friends stage setup there we would take picture with it!!! Hooray!
It's Casting Time! Interactive Audition Clip!
Model...
Superman!
FRIENDS set!!!
Sammy was there too!
2 and a half men set
Mad Max Fury Road Costumes
Lego Movie!
There were also this green screen thing where visitor could ride on a bike or broomstick and they will film it. There were some interactive motion capture stuffs where the creature on screen imitate your movement.
Who wanna fly on a Broomstick?
Or drive the Batmobile?
Gravity...
Motion Capture!
Hi!!!
This is me waving there!
Lot's of trophies!
I also stumbled upon the famous Friends' Central Perk cafe at the end of this self-guided walk and bought some souvenirs before taking the shuttle to call it a day. What an amazing experience for a nerd like me! =p
Let's imagine this is a red carpet! LOL!!!
I love Friends!
Central Perk!!!
Merchandises
Hi Big Bad Wolf!
A Trailer!
It's time to leave Warner Brothers Studios!
Even the driver is HOT!
It has been FUN!
Our little Cart for the tour!
I drove back to The Commons at Calabasas to take daytime picture and had my lunch at the patio area of the King's Fish house by ordering blackened swordfish. I was served with bread & butter and somehow I was seduced by this combination until I finished more than half of the big size bread! *facepalm*
The Commons at Calabasas during day time
With King's Fish House at the back
From another angle
Overlooking the view from King's Fish House
Care for some fishes?
Condiments
Sammy taking a peek
I love the bread & butter!
My main course was finally served and I found the whole thing salty! The fish was salty, the spinach was salty, the only thing not as salty was the ratatouille. Kind of disappointed actually. The Alaskan Cod Fish burger I had last night was so much nicer! This meal cost USD24 with tips.
The main course was really salty though...
The Clock Tower during Daytime
My next destination was the Western town in Paramount Ranch. The town was used in some filming in some old western movies buy it was quite small though. I was only there for like 30mins before leaving as the sun was scorching hot and there was nothing else to see unless I fancy a hike on the trails. Seeing that I was practically roasted by the sun and had to get to the airport later, hiking didn't seem to be a bright idea huh?
At Paramont Ranch!
Here is the Western Town
Where Gun Fight takes place!
Care for a Hike
Lovely Trees
I dub this "the Big Fish Tree"!
A Small Hut
Coyote Trail?! Is there any coyote?!
Bridge & Town..
I love the Big Fish Tree!
Tons of Poo Poo on the ground
I ended up driving to Vons instead to get some cold pressed juice to quench my thirst and did some survey on some groceries.
Let's have more cold pressed juice!
If was finally time to leave Southern California so I drove back to Westlake Village Inn to get my luggage. It took me more than 1 hour to reach Hertz return office near LA airport. The Hertz shuttle then took us to the airport terminal. I did my luggage drop with Delta.
Leaving Los Angeles
Taking the Shuttle to Airport
I was not assigned with a seat and was told that I should refer to the counter at gate for my last minute assignment. Since there were still time until boarding, I had my dinner at Ford's Filling Station and ordered their pulled pork grilled cheese sandwich. The waitress asked whether I wanted it with fries or salad and what a dilemma it was! My heart wanted fries but my brain said salad. *cry* Anyway I really liked the sandwich as it was not as greasy as i anticipated. =p
Delta Airlines
At LA Airport
Ford's Filling Station
Menu Anyone?
Pulled Pork Grilled Cheese Sandwich with salad
Sinfully Delicious
I finally got my seat number at the gate before boarding. Lo & behold! It was the window seat at the last row with no window! =D This was also my 1st time taking Delta in a Boeing 717 aircraft with seating arrangement of 2-3. I'd imagined the engine was right beside me as there was this loud vacuum cleaner noise blaring in my ears during the flight. *sigh*
At the end of the plane!
Window Seat with no window!
Thankfully it was a short flight and we landed in San Jose airport terminal A in one piece. I had to take another shuttle to get to the car rental area. I got myself a Toyota Yaris again - not without some hu-ha on my credit card display name again. *facepalm* I guess I should drop Hertz and rent Avis next time if I have the chance.
Renting a car again
Toyota Yaris again! My ride for next 4 days!
The Hert NeverLost GPS in this car was crazy! It would asked me to go straight for like 4 miles and suddenly recalculated itself and asked me to make a u-turn before I even complete the 4 miles! WTF! It just kept recalculating and asked me to go different directions in different minute! During my confused state, I actually managed to find Fairfield Inn which I stayed last year (link) and I was secretly cursing that why couldn't I stay in this hotel instead. LOL!!

Anyway I finally found Plaza Suites after more than 30mins (no thanks to the GPS!!). What I did was ignore the always changing instruction from the GPS and remembered the 1st instruction and the street name to counter-refer to the street sign. Really WTF! And I had to do this at 10pm++ at night all alone!

By the time I checked into my room, it was already 11pm++. I'd stayed in this hotel before during my trip in 2013 (link) and I think I still prefer the room in Westlake Village Inn as Plaza Suites room seemed to be too gloomy for me. Anyway the room did have separate living room & bedroom and they provided a microwave.
Bed!
TV in Bedroom
Bathroom
Dry Section of the Bathroom
Living Room
TV in Living Room
Coffee?
Working Desk
Toiletries

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...